Health and Safety Representatives on Construction Site
Construction Safety Role: Health and Safety Representatives
The role of a HSR (Health and Safety Rep) is generally limited to their work group unless there is a serious risk to the health or safety of other workers from an immediate hazard or a worker in another work group asks for their assistance, and the HSR for that other work group is found to be unavailable.
A Health and Safety Representative can:
- Inspect the workplace, construction site, or any area where work is carried out by a worker in the work group
- Accompany a workplace health and safety inspector during an inspection of the construction area the HSR represents
- Be present at an interview with a worker that the HSR represents (with their consent) and the PCBU or an inspector about health and safety issues
- Request a health and safety committee be established
- Monitor compliance measures by the PCBU
- Represent the work group in health and safety matters for the construction area
- Investigate complaints from members of the work group on the site
- Different States have like NSW or QLD White Card use different requirements
- Inquire into any risk to the health or safety of workers in the work group.
A Health and Safety Representative is not personally liable for anything done, or not done, in good faith while carrying out their role.